I was born on 10th September 1963 to Shri Balramji Dass Tandon and Smt Brij Pal Tandon in Amritsar, India. My family was known for their devotion to God, love for the country and upright morals. My father, Late Shri Balramji Dass Tandon was a freedom fighter, an RSS Pracharak, a founding member of the Jan Sangh. He was six times MLA, four times minister, and the Governor of Chhattisgarh (from July 2014 to August 2018). My mother Smt Brij Pal Tandon used to teach in Amritsar in her younger days. Over time she has been a devout homemaker, and a Lord Krishna devotee. I have two sisters, both settled in Delhi.
I did my schooling from Amritsar till class 8, and used to attend the RSS Shakha since the age of 6. Soon I was chosen as the Mukhya Shikshak of the Abhimanyu Shakha at Amritsar. In 1977 when my father became a minister, the family moved to Chandigarh, and have lived in Chandigarh ever since.
After completing my schooling from DAV school, Chandigarh, I did Pre-university from DAV College Sector 10, Chandigarh, and went on to do B. Com (Hons) from Government College, Chandigarh. I qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 1986, and a Cost Accountant in 1988.
Marriage & Family
In 1987, I married Priya, the daughter of (late) Justice Madan Mohan Punchhi, who retired as the Chief Justice of India. We have three sons, the elder two are in business, and the youngest is still studying.
I started CA practice after qualifying in 1986, and over a span of thirty odd years have built the Competent Group. The group employs over 4,000 people and has verticals like – Accounting, Auditing, Consulting, Stock Broking, Commodity Broking, Insurance Broking, BPO services, Software products, and Coworking spaces. We carry out many social service activities through our NGO Competent Foundation whose motto is – Help Ever, Hurt Never.
- Director – State Bank of Hyderabad
- Director – National Hydroelectric Power Corporation
- Member – ‘Human Resource Development for IT/ITES’, Information and Communication Technology Corporation, Government of Punjab.
- Committee Member – Board of Studies in Human Rights & Duties, Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Member – State Task Force, ICAI, Chandigarh
- Member – Banking and Insurance Committee of PHD Chambers of Commerce.
- Member – Board of Finance & Syndicate, Panjab University
Currently held –
- State President – Bharatiya Janata Party, Chandigarh
- Member – Administrator’s Advisory Council, Chandigarh Administration
- Chairperson – Standing Committee of Administrator’s Advisory Council on Traffic Management, Chandigarh Administration
- Member – Bharat Vikas Parishad, Chandigarh
- Member – DAV Management Committee Pratinidhi Sabha
- Independent Director – GAIL India Ltd (Nominated by Petroleum Ministry, Government of India)
- Senate Member – Panjab University (Nominated by Vice-President of India)
- President – UT Cricket Association, Chandigarh
- Nominated Member – Advisory Committee of Home Minister on UT Chandigarh
- Non-Official Visitor – Model Jail, Burail
- Director – Rockman Industries Limited
- I along with my wife Priya S. Tandon, have co-authored seven books titled – Sunrays for Sunday, Sunrays for Monday, Sunrays for Tuesday, Sunrays for Wednesday, Sunrays for Thursday, Sunrays for Friday, and Sunrays for Saturday. The books of the Sunrays series contain Inspirational short stories based on the teachings of Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. The first three books have also been published in Hindi and the first two in Telugu as well.
- I wrote the biography of my father titled – Balramji Dass Tandon – Ek Prerak Charitra. This book was released on 17th August 2009 by former Deputy Prime Minister and the then Leader of Opposition, Sh. Lal Krishan Advaniji. The book release programme was presided over by the Chief Minister of Punjab Sh. Parkash Singh Badal and was attended by many other National and State leaders.
- I am the founding editor of a monthly newsletter called ‘Kamal Samachar’, which I started in March 2009. This covered all the happenings of BJP Chandigarh, and became a quintessential medium for all party workers to stay updated.
- I compiled 100 letters that were sent by dignitaries, politicians, bureaucrats, industrialists and prominent persons on the 90th birthday of my father, Sh. Balramji Dass Tandon into a book called Sangharsh Gatha.
- I have been sending a daily inspirational quote from the teachings of Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, and a weekly story to about 6,000 people through email and SMS.
- I learnt after my father’s demise, that my father was helping around 17-18 organisations / people in various ways for years together. To keep these seva activities going – I set up the Balramji Dass Tandon Charitable Foundation. The first thing that the foundation did was to make a donation of Rs Ten Lakhs to Panjab University to hold a Balramji Dass Tandon Memorial Lecture every year at the university. This will become a platform for people who have worked towards building the nation, to share their views with the youth.